Thursday, June 9, 2011

I just cant get enough

I found a new recipe about a month ago that I cant seem to get enough of! I have made it 3 times since I found it.  Robbie loves it, I love it, and it is healthy (always a plus). Now, I've modified this recipe each time I've made it, and I think I've found perfection in this meal. It is so scrumdillyuptious! Here is the recipe. My modifications will be in parentheses. 



Ingredients

  • 2 3/4 cups chicken stock (I used boullion cubes, made it three cups/three cubes)
  • 2 tablespoons butter ( i didnt use the butter...just adds more fat)
  • 1 1/2 cups Jasmine or other white rice 
  • Peanut or vegetable oil, for stir-frying (I used some peanut SAUCE and less oil than they called for. I also added a dash of some pre-made stir fry sauce that we had in the fridge)
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh meat, chopped into bite-size pieces
  • Finely ground white or black pepper
  • 1/4 pineapple, trimmed and sliced into thin, bite-size pieces (1 cup) (I just used a can of chunked pineapple, drained...way easier)
  • 1 bell pepper-seeded, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
  • 1 red Fresno (milder) or Thai (hotter) chili pepper, seeded and thinly sliced or finely chopped ( didnt use a chili pepper. Instead, I did a few splashes of tobasco and added about 2 tsp of crushed red pepper)
  • 1 piece (1 1/2 inches) fresh ginger, grated or minced
  • 3 to 4 large cloves garlic, chopped (grating is easier and doesnt get your fingers smelly)
  • About 2 tablespoons kecap manis (an Indonesian condiment), orsubstitute 2 tablespoons Tamari and 1 teaspoon sugar (i omitted this all together)
  • 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons fish sauce (i omitted this as well)
  • 1 cup basil leaves (about 20 to 24), torn (i used finely chopped basil from my spice cabinet...I didnt want to eat leaves of basil)
  • 1 lime, 1/2 juiced and 1/2 cut into wedges, plus 1 teaspoon zest
  • 1 1/2 cups Jasmine or other white rice
  • Yields: 4

Preparation

Step
In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock and butter to a boil, then stir in the rice and return to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until tender, 16-18 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Step
When the rice is about ready, heat a thin layer of oil, about 1 1/2 tablespoons, in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Pat the chicken dry and season with pepper. Add the meat to the pan in a single layer and do not touch for 2 minutes; stir-fry until golden, about 3 minutes more. Transfer to a plate. (cook about 1/2 way done so that chicken doesnt get tough)
Step
Add a little more oil to the skillet and heat up, then add the pineapple, bell pepper, chile pepper, ginger and garlic, stir-fry until crisp-tender and the pineapple pieces are light golden at the edges, about 3 minutes. Stir in the kecap manis (or tamari and sugar) and fish sauce. Add chicken and toss to coat.
Step
Turn off the heat and add half the basil leaves to wilt. Stir in the lime juice and zest and toss again to combine. Serve the rice and garnish with the lime wedges and remaining basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment